Sometimes when you’re on the keto diet, you need a snack. At home, you can reach into your refrigerator (maybe for some cheese or olives), or maybe you have beef jerky stocked away in a cupboard. Perhaps you’ve gotten in the habit of making small protein wraps with a slice of cheese, turkey, and whatever greens you have on hand.
Unfortunately, we’re not at home all the time. And despite the keto diet’s ability to curb your appetite, sometimes you get hungry and just want a quick on-the-go snack that meets ketogenic dietary recommendations. In these instances, you want to stock up on grab-and-go options that require minimal preparation before you head out for the day.
Luckily, as more people turn to the keto diet to reap its many avantages pour la santé, Walmart has turned into a treasure trove of keto snack options. Keep reading to learn about our recommendations for the best keto-friendly snacks you can find at Walmart.
What Makes a Good Keto Snack?
First, let’s cover what qualifies as a good snack choice that won’t offset your state of ketosis. Beginning with macros, any snack you select should have no more than 6 grams of net carbohydrates per serving and no more than 12 grams if you’re consuming a meal replacement product. In addition, you should:
- Prioritize high-quality oils: Avoid margarine, soybean, and vegetable oils, all known for their partially hydrogenated trans fat content.
- Avoid added sweeteners: This includes sugar, honey, corn syrups, and other sweeteners due to the carbohydrates they add, as well as artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose. (And speaking of artificial, generally avoid artificial flavors as well.)
- Snack sparingly: Due to the nature of the keto diet, snacking should only be occasional — not a regular habit to tide you over between meals. Select choices high in fats and proteins that help you feel full and, in select instances, let you effectively space out meals.
- Select real foods: Yes, snack bars are convenient (and many are keto-friendly), but keep “real,” whole foods — such as avocados, olives, cheese, nuts, eggs, jerky and other meat sources like bacon, sausages and cold cuts — at the front of your mind. These choices are high in healthy fats and low in net carbohydrates. Just for context, a 3.5-ounce serving of olives offers 15 grams of fats and 4 grams of total carbohydrates, with the majority coming from fiber.
- Don’t discount vegetables: If your snacking choices lean more toward veggies and dip, make it keto-friendly: Chop low-carbohydrate vegetables into sticks and serve them with sour cream, cream cheese, or a raw nut butter low in sugar and made with a healthy oil.
- Wrap it up: You’ve done this with a burger, and for snacking, small-scale wraps are an increasingly popular choice. Go with lettuce, spinach, or collard greens, and fill them with cheese, fish, or a small piece of meat or sausage.
- Fat bombs: These low-carb snacks satisfy your hunger and cravings for something sweet.
- Don’t forget about yogurt: Look for coconut and select dairy sources high in fat, low in sugar, and offering a source of probiotics for gut health.
Best Keto Snacks from Walmart
With this framework in mind, Walmart has both bases of your snack strategy covered. One, you can pick up cheese slices, vegetables, yogurt, meats, and produce from its grocery section. Its aisles, meanwhile, offer a variety of ready-made and grab-and-go choices that won’t derail your state of ketosis. Consider the following:
We’ll start with the most straightforward and convenient choice for prepared snacking on the go. Many stores are carrying more keto-friendly bars, Walmart included. Some options are:
- Quest: Anyone who’s tried a high-protein diet is likely familiar with Quest. Quest bars, as well as Quest dessert choices, up the protein and fiber contents and offer low net carbohydrates. For example, the S’Mores Protein Bar has 20 grams of protein, 4 grams of net carbs, nine essential amino acids, and 14 grams of fiber. This is paired with a taste reminiscent of the classic campfire snack. In the mood for a sweet treat but want to remain in ketosis? Quest’s Chocolate Chip Protein Cookie has a similar profile, with 15 grams of protein and 4 grams of net carbohydrates.
- Atkins: Also popular among those sticking to a high-protein diet, many Atkins products are also keto-friendly, with high-fat and low net-carb options. In keeping track of your macros, the Lemon Gluten Free Snack Bar adds a touch of tartness to a fuel-packed, satisfying snack, offering 13 grams of protein, 9 grams of fiber, and 3 grams of net carbohydrates.
- Shakes: SlimFast continues to diversify its offerings based on the variety of diet plans out there. Readily available at most Walmarts, SlimFast Keto Meal Replacement shakes keep net carbohydrates low (just 2 grams per 11-fluid-ounce bottle for the Creamy Milk Chocolate Flavor) and limit sugars without compromising taste. Upping the healthy fat content is a mix of protein and MCT coconut oil. SlimFast recommends its keto shakes as after-workout snacks, in place of three keto snacks or as a substitution for a full keto meal.
- Fat Bombs: If you do not have the time to make you own, SlimFast has ready-made versions inspired by popular desserts.
No, we’re not talking about potato chips or tortilla chips. Instead, Walmart’s selection can satisfy your need for the salty taste and crunch of popular snack foods without derailing ketosis. Keto-friendly options include:
- Pork rinds (also called chichcarrones): These are high in fat, low in net carbs, and satisfy your craving for crunch. Find them in bags from Epic and 4505 viandes, known for sourcing their pigskin exclusively from small family ranchers that practice sustainable and humane husbandry techniques and not using preservatives
- Whisps Cheese Crisps: Essentially, this is cheese fried until crunchy. Whisps span a wide range of familiar cheeses and offer about 2 grams of net carbohydrates per serving.
Stock up on your favorite nuts! While cashews aren’t the most keto-friendly choice, Walmart also offers walnuts, almonds, pecans, and macadamia nuts from a variety of brands. Want to learn more about which nuts are the most keto-friendly and which to avoid? Click ici.
Jerky & Biltong
Keep it simple by stocking up on bags of Jack Link’s jerky and protein snacks, known for having no added sugars, a low net-carb content, and a satisfying smoky flavor.
Some Walmarts also offer the option of experimentation: Try alligator and boar jerkies, courtesy of Meat Maniac, find turkey jerky from Chomps or give biltong a taste. Biltong is an air-dried alternative with a lighter flavor, more protein, and even fewer carbohydrates. Walmart carries biltong products from Stryve.
Pouches & Cans
Walmart presents a few easily transportable versions of your favorites — great for when you’re off to work or going away for the weekend. Popular choices include:
- Olives: In pouches and in cups, find traditional and gourmet olives that can be eaten on the go, including from Gaea and other brands.
- Fish: Find tuna and salmon, including from Wild Planet and Tonnino, packaged ready to eat with no preparation from a pouch. Eat it alone for a mix of healthy fats, protein, and amino acids, or combine it with greens or keto bread.
Get food prep ideas from Keto-Mojo for sticking to your macros. Explore recettes, learn more about nutrition information, ou create a custom meal plan today.
What is a good snack while on the keto diet? ›
A slice of cheese, a few olives, some fatty cold cuts, or a few slices of bacon make excellent keto snacks. Or choose a small portion of nuts that are very low in carbs, like macadamia nuts, pecans or Brazil nuts (be careful of cashews.) A hard-boiled egg is another ideal keto snack.What to look for when buying keto snacks? ›
- Read the label. Don't assume a snack is keto-friendly just by looking at it; always read the label before purchasing. ...
- Opt for organic. ...
- Go cage-free. ...
- Choose pasture-raised options. ...
- Don't forget about fruits. ...
- Stick with whole-food and minimally processed choices.
Some people swear by three square meals a day while others prefer five or six small meals. And while similar diets such as Whole30 frown upon snacking throughout the day, some have found success eating three moderate meals a day and two small snacks.What can you have in unlimited amounts on a keto diet? ›
Enjoy unlimited non-starchy vegetables such as leafy greens and crunchy salad veggies such as cucumber, celery, and radishes. Other favorites include cauliflower, cabbage, avocado, broccoli, and zucchini. Fresh or frozen, most vegetables that grow above-ground are keto-friendly. You can even eat a vegetarian keto diet.Can I eat popcorn on keto? ›
Popcorn isn't usually recommended for a keto diet because corn is a starchy vegetable and therefore high in carbs. But, there are many other alternatives to popcorn that can fit into your snacking plans!Are Doritos keto friendly? ›
The chips come out super crispy and cheesy. You can easily customize the flavor by dusting them with your favorite seasonings. They are also naturally low carb and keto-friendly, though you don't need to be on a low carb diet to enjoy them.Can I eat grapes on keto? ›
Despite the many health benefits of fruit, there is an issue with some fruits on the keto diet. Grapes and bananas, for instance, contain high quantities of carbs. 1 cup of grapes has approximately 26 grams and a medium banana, 24 grams of carbohydrate. As a rule, these fruits should be avoided.What time should I stop eating on keto? ›
With a keto diet, there are no shortcuts – the only way to make it work for your body is to stick to the rules. So it's natural to wonder if it's okay to eat before bed on a keto diet, and how eating after 8pm can affect ketosis. The answer is: no, you don't have to avoid eating before bed on keto.Is it good to cheat one day on keto? ›
It's entirely possible to have a cheat day while staying in ketosis, as long as you plan your macros carefully. However, if you want to go all out on your cheat day, be ready for some of the side effects and the fact that you'll more than likely have to spend some time getting back into ketosis.What foods get you into ketosis fast? ›
What are some foods that get you into ketosis fast? Some foods that can help you get into ketosis quickly include avocado, cheese, eggs, fish, meat, and oils, such as coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado oil. These foods are high in healthy fats and protein, which can help your body enter ketosis.
What food do you miss most on keto? ›
What foods do people miss most on low carb? So much that they'd like low-carb replacements for them? As you can see, bread is by far the food people miss the most, followed by dessert/sweets and beer. Below are our best suggestions for low-carb versions of these foods.What are the top 10 keto foods? ›
- Salmon. Salmon, and other oily fish such as sardines, mackerel and anchovies, are very high in omega-3, which has been shown to help lower insulin levels and improve insulin sensitivity in those who are overweight. ...
- Cheese. ...
- Avocado. ...
- Eggs. ...
- Chicken. ...
- Coconut oil. ...
- Olive oil. ...
- Nuts & seeds.
Fruits contain natural sugars, but some are suitable as part of a keto meal plan. Avocados, lemons, tomatoes, berries, and kiwis are among the options. The keto diet is a low-carb eating plan designed to put a person into a state of ketosis.What is the most filling low carb snack? ›
A: The best snacks for a low carb diet are unprocessed foods that can give you quick energy and also keep you filled. Some examples are: nuts, an avocado, turkey and cheese, organic jerky, homemade trail mix, and fibrous veggies.Can you eat peanut butter on keto? ›
Peanut butter can definitely be part of a keto diet, but it's best to stick to plain options that are free of extra flavors and sweeteners. Almond butter is a good choice, too, and it's slightly lower in carbs. Additionally, you should be mindful of your portion size if you're trying to lose weight.What is sweet and has no carbs? ›
Stevia won't taste exactly like sugar, but it has no carbs or calories and won't raise your blood sugar or insulin levels[*]. Erythritol: Erythritol is made from fermented corn or cornstarch, and it's also a good way to get some sweetness without any calories or carbs[*].What kind of bread is keto-friendly? ›
Cloud bread, or oopsie bread, is very popular with low-carb and keto dieters. Cloud bread is a protein-rich alternative to regular bread and makes an excellent sandwich base or English muffin replacement.What chocolate can I have on keto? ›
While 1 ounce (28 grams) of high quality dark chocolate can fit into a keto diet, a larger serving will likely exceed your limit. Dark chocolate can fit into a ketogenic diet. However, it's important to monitor your portions and choose dark chocolate made with at least 70% cocoa to avoid exceeding your carb limit.How to get into ketosis fast? ›
- Significantly reducing the carbohydrate intake. ...
- Increasing physical activity. ...
- Fasting for short periods. ...
- Increasing healthful fat intake. ...
- Testing ketone levels. ...
- Checking protein intake. ...
- Consuming more MCT oil.
If potato chips are one of your favorite foods, here's a bit of unfortunate news: All forms of potatoes, including chips, are off-limits on keto.
Is smart candy keto? ›
Are Smart Sweets keto? Sadly, Smart Sweets are not strict keto. This is because flavors like peach rings contain ingredients like rice flour and tapioca byproducts, and other isomalto-oligosacchharides.Is watermelon OK on keto? ›
Watermelon. This juicy melon is a refreshing way to get a keto-friendly fruit fix, with just 46 calories per diced cup, per USDA data. Like other melons, it's no fiber superstar, but the high water content keeps calories and carbs in check, with under 12 g per cup.Is pineapple OK for keto? ›
Is Pineapple Keto Friendly? No, pineapple is not keto friendly on its own. However, there are ways to cut down on pineapple carb count and still enjoy its fruity flavor.Is cottage cheese good for keto? ›
Cottage cheese can be a keto-friendly protein option, but ideally, you should choose full fat, plain cottage cheese. For a healthy, low carb snack, combine it with vegetables or use it as a dip base.What day of keto is the hardest? ›
Pro tip: If possible, I recommend starting the keto diet on a Thursday, as days 3 and 4 are usually the hardest part of the transition.Does coffee break ketosis? ›
More good news: Coffee and tea don't interfere with fasting perks like ketosis and fat burn, and coffee may even help amplify some of fasting's benefits such as improved insulin sensitivity3 .How many days should you stay on keto? ›
While some people have success staying on keto for an extended period of time, “the long-term research is limited,” says Jill Gulotta, RDN, who's based in White Plains, New York. Gulotta recommends staying on keto for six months max before reintroducing more carbs to your diet.Can you do 5 days on 2 days off keto? ›
Some people choose to have five or six days on keto followed by a day or two off. Others will do keto for 10 to 12 days followed by three to four days off. Devine typically doesn't recommend taking more than two days off keto.How do I know when I'm in ketosis? ›
When a person is in nutritional ketosis, they will have blood ketone levels of 0.5–3 millimoles per liter . Alternatively, people can use a breath analyzer to test for ketones in their breath, or they may use indicator strips to check their urinary levels. Ketone testing kits are available to purchase online.Can I eat steak everyday on keto? ›
This will depend on the type of keto diet you're on. Generally, you can consume one to two pieces of steak a week, but your protein and fat intake should be supplemented with other meats like fish and chicken.
Will a 16 hour fast put me in ketosis? ›
Your body may go into ketosis after just 12 hours of not eating, which many people do overnight before they "break fast" with a morning meal.Can you have hot dogs on keto? ›
Yes, you can definitely have hot dogs on keto! Carbs in hot dogs are low enough to enjoy often on a low carb diet.What cancels out carbs on keto? ›
Fiber isn't “counted” in the carbohydrate total because it doesn't get digested by the human body. Either way, that number of carbs is very low and requires careful planning. Eating a little fruit, starchy vegetables, sugary foods, or whole grains can easily kick you out of ketosis.What foods are lazy keto? ›
A lazy keto diet consists of low-carb foods like meat, fish, full-fat dairy and non-starchy vegetables, but limits high-carb foods such as bread, potatoes, sugary snacks and some fruits. If you've tried the keto before and found it too tedious, lazy keto could be a good compromise.How to go into ketosis in 24 hours? ›
If you're serious about reaching ketosis in 24 hours, then forget about food. You need to shut the fridge, close the cabinets, and embrace the glucose-burning power of fasting! If you maintain a low-carb diet leading up to your fast, you'll have a much easier time.What veggies are allowed on keto? ›
Vegetables form a large part of a ketogenic, or keto, diet. Healthful options include celery, tomatoes, spinach, and mushrooms. A person may wish to avoid starchy vegetables, such as beets, potatoes, and sweetcorn. Keto diets restrict the amount of carbohydrates a person can eat.Can you have cheese on keto? ›
In fact, cheese is basically the perfect keto food: high-fat, moderate-protein, and low-carb. “Cheese can add flavor, variety, and new textures into your meals,” says Wagner, adding that the best varieties for the keto diet are high-quality, grass-fed, and full-fat.Can I eat oatmeal on a keto diet? ›
Since it's so high in carbs, oatmeal isn't keto-friendly and should be avoided if you're trying to reach a state of ketosis. If you love your oatmeal but want to stick to your keto diet, there are low carb alternative recipes out there.Is popcorn OK on keto? ›
Back to the snack in question: The answer is yes, you can eat popcorn on a keto diet — but there are a few things to keep in mind. Once you figure out how many daily carbs your body can take in to remain in ketosis, you can divvy up your allotment however you like, but popcorn can easily fit in a ketogenic eating plan.Is peanut butter OK for keto diet? ›
Peanut butter can definitely be part of a keto diet, but it's best to stick to plain options that are free of extra flavors and sweeteners. Almond butter is a good choice, too, and it's slightly lower in carbs. Additionally, you should be mindful of your portion size if you're trying to lose weight.
Can I snack throughout the day on keto? ›
Finding easy snacks on a keto diet can be especially hard if you don't have low-carb, high-fat foods on hand. But with a little extra planning, there are many keto-friendly snacks you can enjoy throughout the day that will keep you satiated while staying within your macronutrient limits.Can you have pickles on keto? ›
Luckily, pickles are keto friendly, especially those that are of the dill pickle variety, as sugar is low. “Simply put, sweet pickles are made with sugar which will automatically push the carb count up,” says Hultin. “Dill or salt pickles don't have the added sugar and carbs, naturally,” she says.What kind of bread is keto friendly? ›
Cloud bread, or oopsie bread, is very popular with low-carb and keto dieters. Cloud bread is a protein-rich alternative to regular bread and makes an excellent sandwich base or English muffin replacement.Can keto eat chocolate? ›
Somewhat surprisingly, you can eat chocolate on keto. However, it's important to choose dark chocolate that contains a minimum of 70% cocoa solids — preferably more — and eat it in moderation.Can you eat apples on keto? ›
Apples. An apple a day may keep the doctor away, but it really has no place in a keto diet. One medium apple has more than 22 g of net carbs, according to USDA data — enough to blow someone's entire carb allotment for the day.Is Banana good for keto? ›
Despite the many health benefits of fruit, there is an issue with some fruits on the keto diet. Grapes and bananas, for instance, contain high quantities of carbs. 1 cup of grapes has approximately 26 grams and a medium banana, 24 grams of carbohydrate. As a rule, these fruits should be avoided.Can you eat mayonnaise on keto? ›
Mayonnaise is the perfect condiment for the Keto Diet because it consists of high fat, low protein, and zero carbohydrates. It also has many health benefits that can help you maintain Ketosis and achieve your weight loss goals on the Keto diet.Can I eat hot dogs on keto? ›
Yes, you can definitely have hot dogs on keto! Carbs in hot dogs are low enough to enjoy often on a low carb diet.What happens if you mess up a day on keto? ›
The bottom line
You should avoid cheat meals and days on the keto diet. Consuming too many carbs can kick your body out of ketosis — and it takes several days to 1 week to get back into it. In the meantime, your weight loss may be disrupted.
Your blood sugar will spike, making an abundance of quick energy available and causing your body to switch back to glucose as a source of fuel. Ketone production will stop. A majority of the sugars you eat will likely be used to replenish glycogen stores. This may cause a temporary gain in water weight.
Will one cheat day take me out of ketosis? ›
Will a cheat day throw me out of ketosis? There's no getting around this one: Yes, you will fall out of fat burning mode. Here's a little refresher on ketosis, which is when your body burns fat for energy instead of carbohydrates—its preferred source.